Applications that open email fail to open Outlook 2007
I just bought a new HP Pavillion Desktop (AMD quad core processor, 8G Mem, 512M graphics card, 750 MB HDD running Vista 64) and am having a problem with all applications that have a link to open and send an email. Here's a little history that I think
may have something to do with my problem:
1) I bought the unit with MS Works bundle but a week later bought the MS Office 2--7 Small Business Bundle (on sale at Best Buy). The documentation stated that I could upgrade directly from Works after I first downloaded the 9.0 Works upgrade(which I did)
Unfortunately the upgrade still wouldn't recognize Works and kept asking for the Works install disk (which does not come with the HP as everything was already installed on the hard drive.
2) I then called MS, got a very knowledgeable technician, and after trying several things he said it would be easier if he just sent me a link where I could download the entire office suite and activate with the product key provided on the Office Small Business
3) I downloaded it to the desktop and installed it, taking all recommeded defaults,and made it my default email.
Everything works fine except when an application tries to initiate an email e.g.
when I try to do a simple share a file under Windows Explorer
and click on the email link to send the file nothing happens, Outlook won't open nor wil Windows Mail. After trying to open this email link I can no longer open Outlook until I reboot the system.
The exact same thing happens with my Logitech camera software,
when I snap a photo and the application opens the window to allow me to email the photo nothing happens, neither Oulook 2007 nor Windows Mail open and Outlook will no longer open until I reboot.
4) The only other applications I've loaded are Photoshop/Premier Elements 7.0 and Logitech video camera software. Every feature of all applications work fine except this email issue.
Do you think the problem lies with the fact that I couldn't complete a MS Works upgrade and just did a fresh install ...
is it possible the path is screwed up? Or is it possibly a bug with Vista 64? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Solutions to the Problem Applications that open email fail to open Outlook 2007
Let’s try a clean boot to see if any program or driver is causing this issue.
I know you said you only have a few programs, but just to rule out the possibility I think we should try it anyways.
A clean boot will start Windows with certain programs and drivers
turned on or off based on the selections you make.
Hopefully through trial and error we can pinpoint a specific cause of this problem.
To troubleshoot using a clean boot, do the following:
First Step: Perform a Clean Boot
1. Log on to your computer with an administrative account.
2. Click Start.
3. Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click
5. In the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to uncheck the
Load startup items check box.
6. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click
*NOTE: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run.
These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services.
If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore
Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
7. Click OK, and then click Restart.
Second Step: Enable Half of the Services
1. Start the System Configuration Utility.
Refer to the steps above if you need to see how to do this.
2. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
3. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
4. Click OK, and then click Restart.
Third Step: Determine whether the problem returns
If the problem still occurs, repeat the First Step and the Second Step.
Second Step, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
If the problem does not occur, repeat the First Step and the Second Step.
Second Step, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem.
Go to the
If no service causes this problem, go to the Fourth Step.
Fourth Step: Enable Half of the Startup Items
Perform a clean boot by repeating step 1.
Click the Startup tab, and then click to select half of the check boxes in the
Startup Item list.
Click OK, and then click Restart.
Fifth Step: Determine Whether the Problem Returns
If the problem still occurs, repeat the First Step and the Fourth Step.
Fourth Step, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the
Startup Item list.
If the problem does not occur, repeat the First Step and the Fourth Step.
Fourth Step, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
Startup Item list.
Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem.
Go to the Sixth Step.
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem.
To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat the
First Step and the Second Step without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.
Sixth Step: Resolve the Problem
After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved.
Or, run the System Configuration Utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem
Seventh Step: Resolve the Problem
After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
1. Click Start
2. Type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press
3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click
4. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click
5. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
Here is the KB article these steps came from:
We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.
If you have any questions about performing these steps, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Manually editing the Windows registry to fix Error Applications that open email fail to open Outlook 2007
Caution: Unless you an advanced computer user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Applications that open email fail to open Outlook 2007:
How to Fix Applications that open email fail to open Outlook 2007 with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will scan your system. The junk files will be shown in the list.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. When the Fixing part is finished, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been fixed
Related: error message fsui.exe/ wlidcli.dll is missing
,Solution to Error: Excel: Automatic number generation
,Troubleshoot:i wanna change language of all windows in Windows 7 Home Premium
,Troubleshooting:IF Function, if the vendor ID in column A matches any of the vendor ID's in column F, I want 1099 to appear in column D. Error
,Fast Solution to Problem: ReadyBoost is not working properly in my computer
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22),brclr.dll.mu_ Missing Error Fixer,How To Resolve Missing fin_myagtui.eng Problem,Corrupted f_0006ad File - How to Fix,nkebigvg.cpl Not Found Error Fixer,Corrupted olcontrols.ocx File - How to Fix
Read More: Solution to Error: Apparently another computer on this network has the same IP address as me.,[Solved] Allow script initiated windows without size or position constraint.,How to Fix Error - append to a table that has a new name every time it is run?,Troubleshoot:Allow duplicate Column headers in a table?,Troubleshooter of Error: Another \"Errror 1935\" Question,After Windows Update CD/DVD drive does not work,After installing windows 7 to laptop the labels print out of line how can I fix it,After my computer sleeps the wireless always disconnects and will no reconnect,After signing into Pogo.com, I get a message" This tab has been recovered"....what does this mean and how do I fix it.....,All desktop icons changed to windows live and does not open